Whether you want to bake some spooky snacks for any trick or treaters that might come visiting, or as a surprise for your fellow residents, we’ve found some great recipes for you to try.
Rice Krispy Treat Brains
• 340g of butter
• 270g of mini marshmallows
• Red food colouring
• 6 cups of Rice Krispies
• Baking paper
• Red gel icing
1. Melt the butter in a bowl, placed over a pan of hot water. Once melted add the marshmallows and stir frequently. (Add a few drops of red food colouring for a real brain colour)
2. Take the bowl off the heat and stir in the cereal until it is evenly coated.
3. Whilst the mixture is still warm scoop up some of the mixture in your hands and shape into a ball. Place the ball on your baking tray and squash down a bit so it forms more of a brain shape.
4. Leave them to cool. Once cooled completely drizzle the red gel icing over them to give them a real gory brain effect.
5. These can be stored in an air-tight container for 1-2 days.
Creepy Witches Fingers
• 225 grams unsalted butter (softened)
• 125 grams icing sugar
• 1 egg
• 190 grams cups all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 teaspoon almond extract
• Green food colouring
• 125 grams whole blanched almonds
• Red decorators gel
1. Beat together the butter, sugar, egg, almond and vanilla extract in a bowl until it is smooth and creamy.
2. Add the flour, baking powder and salt and mix until it is all incorporated and add green food colouring till you get a colour you are happy with.
3. Scrape the mixture into some cling film and put in the fridge for 30minutes.
4. Take tablespoon amounts from the mixture and roll into finger shapes.
5. Press an almond into the end of each nail and shape to create the knuckle joints.
6. Place on a lightly graced baking sheet and in place in a oven that’s been preheated to 160 Celsius for 20 – 25 minutes.
7. Let cool for a few minutes, gently take off the almond and squeeze some red decorators gel in the nail bed and press almond back in to place.
If you want to really test your baking skills there’s loads more great recipes online, why not give one of these Good Housekeeping recipes a go.
We’ve also put together recipes for some delicious Halloween inspired drinks, you can find them here.