From time to time we all like to indulge in something delicious and naughty… So why not try this scrumptious chocolate tray bake which is not only really affordable but very easy to make. You can be as creative as you like with the finishing touches.
This is the perfect opportunity for you and your flat mates to get to know each other better and learn to be the next Nigella.
Let’s get started……
You will need:
For the sponge
- 50g/2oz Cocoa powder
- 6tbsp boiling water
- 100g/4oz butter or margarine
- 275g/10oz caster sugar
- 3 large free range eggs
- 125ml/4floz milk
- 175g/6oz self-rising flour
- 1tbsp baking powder
For the icing
- 3-4 tbsp warmed apricot jam
- 100ml3floz double cream
- 200g/7oz milk chocolate (finely chopped)
- 100g/3oz white cooking chocolate
- Grease a 30cm/20cm (12in x 8in) baking tray and line with grease proof paper
- Preheat oven to 180c/350f gas mark 4 (160c fan assisted oven)
- Put the cocoa in large bowl, add the boiling water and mix until smooth. Add the butter and beat into the cocoa until smooth also, then finally add the remaining cake ingredients and mix until combined.
- Pour into prepared tray and bake in the oven for 30-35mins until well risen and just firm to touch. Leave to cool in the tray for about 10mins, then turn out onto a wire rack, brush the top with the warmed jam and leave to cool completely.
- To make the icing, warm the cream in a small pan until hot (but not boiling) then add the milk chocolate and stir until completely melted. Pour the icing over the cake and spread with a palette knife.
- To decorate, melt the white chocolate in a small bowl over a pan of simmering water then quickly pour into a piping bag. Draw lines down the length of the cake about 1cm apart, then drag a cocktail stick in opposite directions to create a feathered look. Of course, there are plenty of other ideas for decorating your cakes! Why not top the cake with some smarties or chocolate buttons
Then all you have to do is sit back and enjoy!