Vegetable soup is a really inexpensive and easy dish to make - perfect for students!
If you're craving something warm and indulgent to keep the winter cold at bay but you also want to start the new year by being healthy, then homemade vegetable soup is the answer! Healthy, warming, hearty and delicious, this student-friendly recipe for chunky soup is very easy to make. If you've got other vegetables in the fridge that you need to use up, you can pop them in aswell!
This recipe will make 4 servings of soup; so you can either cook it for your flatmates or reheat a portion every day until it's used up. The soup will take about an hour and a quarter to make, but don't worry - most of that time is waiting while the soup bubbles away on the hob.
You will need:
- Sunflower or vegetable oil
- 1 small onion
- 1 small leek
- 1 large carrot
- 1 large parsnip
- 8 oz potato
- Mixed herbs
- 600 ml vegetable stock (this can be shop-bought or made from a stock cube)
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- Prepare all the vegetables; chop the onion into small pieces, thinly slice the leek, peel the carrot and slice thinly, peel the parsnip and potato and cut into small chunks.
- Find a saucepan large enough to hold all of the soup and heat a splash of oil in it.
- Gently fry the onion in the oil for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until softened and beginning to turn brown.
- Add the leek, carrot, parsnip and potato to the pan and cook for another 5-10 minutes on a medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Pour the stock over the vegtables and add the tin of tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper and add mixed herbs to taste (or whichever dried or fresh herbs you particularly like!)
- Turn up the heat to bring the mixture to the boil.
- Once boiling, put a lid over the pan and reduce the heat so that the soup is simmering gently.
- Leave to cook, simmering, for 40-50 minutes. Stir the soup occassionally to ensure it is not sticking and check how much liquid there is; add a little water if you think the soup is too thick.
- When all the vegetables are tender, try the soup and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Garnish with fresh parsley if you have it and serve with your favourite bread.