Here's a simple recipe for a tasty mexican-style rice dish. It will take about half an hour to cook in total, but most of this time is just keeping an eye on the food while it bubbles away on the hob. Easy!
What's more, this recipe is completely vegan.
You will need:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 1 tin of tomato sauce
- 400ml vegetable stock
- 1 tin sweetcorn
- 2 small carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 handfuls of frozen peas
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 2 large fresh tomatoes, diced
- Salt and pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Add garlic and onion and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onions have become translucent. Stir in rice and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the tomato sauce and vegetable stock, stir together, and bring to a simmer.
- Add the sweetcorn, carrots, peas, chili powder and cumin; season with salt and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and cover the pan with a lid.
- Reduce the heat and let the mixture simmer, stirring occassionally, until the rice is cooked through. This should take about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the fresh tomatoes and serve.