This week, students from iQ Sheffield road-tested this great recipe for mushroom stroganoff and by all accounts it was DELICIOUS!! Not bad for 71p a serving!
- 1/3 small onion, finely chopped
- 50ml of single cream
- 8x closed cup mushrooms (25g each), thick sliced
- 75g 'value' long grain rice
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 100ml vegetable stock
- 1 tsp mild chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp medium curry powder
- 1 tsp plain white flour
Cost: £0.71 per serving
Prep. Time: 5 mins
Cooking Time: 25 mins
1. Heat the oil in a saucepan and cook the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes or until the onion is soft. Add the mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add the tomato puree, chilli powder, curry powder and flour and mix thoroughly. Slowly add in the stock until it is absorbed and simmer so that the sauce thickens.
3. Meanwhile, cook the rice according to the packet instructions.
4. Remove the stroganoff from the heat, mix in the single cream and return to the heat until piping hot. Taste the sauce at this stage and season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. To serve, simply spoon the mushroom stroganoff over the cooked rice and ENJOY!