Head of Operations
London, Central Services with UK wide travel
Closing date - Tuesday 28th April 2015
The Head of Operations will have responsibility for all iQ operational matters to ensure exceptional standards of customer service, a stand-out brand and identity, best in class operational procedures and full compliance with legal and regulatory requirements in respect of student accommodation.
- To devise and deliver strategies to ensure best in class customer care and service delivery in the management of iQ’s schemes.
- To devise and implement key operational strategies for a range of customer facing and building management services setting clear goals for the Service (Regional) Managers and the Operational Excellence Manager to deliver a consistent and high quality service across iQ.
- To make a major contribution to the production of annual site budgets and to ensure schemes are run to these via close monitoring of income and expenditure and quarterly re-forecasting.
- To identify and manage key operational risks, devising strategies to manage these and advising the executive team on a regular basis of mitigation stratagems. To identify new risks and to have ownership of the relevant sections of the iQ Risk Register.
- To ensure effective working relationships at senior level with key stakeholders and partners including universities, regulatory bodies (such as ANUK and TDPS) and suppliers of business critical services.
- To oversee procurement of major service and supply contracts in iQ ensuring maximum benefit of economics of scale and ongoing consistency of service. To manage relationships with these key suppliers, monitor adherence to SLA’s and schedule review meetings as required (e.g. Endsleigh Insurance, The Dispute Service, Ask4, Circuit Laundry etc).
- To develop, with colleagues, strategies to put sustainability and control of energy at the centre of site operations ensuring “buy in” and collaborative working from all departments.
- To ensure effective relationships with the Finance, Marketing, Asset Management, Human Resources and Health and Safety teams via regular dialogue and by developing a full understanding of their activity.
- To be fully conversant with the main functions in the StarRez (student records) system or such successor systems as may be introduced utilising the powerful reporting suite to refine or modify operations as necessary.
- To undertake continuous process review to ensure the effective operation of the business including the development, implementation and monitoring of policies and procedures to maximize business efficiency.
- To devise and plan, with the Operational Excellence Manager, significant iQ annual events including managers’ meetings, staff training days, iQ conferences, corporate entertainment (with the Marketing Team), making recommendations to the executive team on the content, cost and timing.
- To carry out annual site operational reviews, with the Operational Excellence Manager, examining adherence to policy and procedure, site quality, maintenance of brand standards etc. To develop and agree action plans with Service Managers where improvements are required.
- To ensure, via close working with the Health and Safety Manager, that the Health and Safety of residents and staff is operated in accordance with best practice and the regulatory/statutory framework.
- To ensure Service Managers fully plan resource allocations for their sites at all times with particular emphasis on out-of-hours arrangements, the Christmas vacation and during key periods such as summer move–in/out.
- To play an active role in the recruitment, induction and development of Accommodation Manager grade staff.
- To contribute to the Business Plan, produce board papers and ad hoc reports as required on operational matters and on key performance metrics.
- To manage, with the assistance of relevant colleagues, the iQ Complaints Procedure, Tenancy Appeal Panel and annual student satisfaction.
- To support the CEO, CFO and COO, as necessary, with ad hoc projects and investment appraisal.
- To develop and monitor KPI’s and regularly report against the same to the COO.
- To understand, develop and promulgate iQ’s ‘Values’ as amended from time to time.
Essential Skills and Experience:
To be successful in the role you will have:
- A proven track record of negotiating, implementing and managing contracts.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- A proven record of managing and motivating teams
- Excellent process management skills.
You will be:
- Commercially focused.
- Lateral thinker and problem solver.
- Articulate, energetic and resilient.
- Proficient IT skills including Word and Excel.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for the role, please send your CV and a covering letter outlining your suitability for the role to:
Human Resources Department