This page sets out how iQ Student Accommodation will proceed with a request to cancel a reservation or terminate a Tenancy Agreement for bookings made at locations in England.
Please note that if a university lease or nomination agreement is in place, then the cancellation policy of the relevant university will take precedence over this policy.
Can I cancel my booking?
You may cancel your booking with us subject to the cancellation provisions detailed below.
Cancellations prior to you moving in
Cancellations before the 31st of July
Until the 31st of July, if you have not yet taken up occupation of your accommodation (which is deemed to occur at the time you collect the keys to the accommodation), you may cancel your booking. In this case, your Booking Fee is non-refundable and it can’t be transferred to another customer or tenancy period. You will no longer be liable for the contractual obligations laid out in the Tenancy Agreement.
Cancellations on or after the 31st of July
If you wish to cancel your booking on or after the 31st of July, regardless of whether you have collected your keys, you will remain liable for the contractual obligations laid out in the Tenancy Agreement unless you can offer proof you fit any of the following criteria:
- Your UK Visa application has been denied.
- You have failed to obtain the required qualifications to get into your first University of choice.
- Extenuating circumstances e.g. ill-health, family circumstances.
Where proof is provided within the timescales specified below, the cancellation will be granted and you will no longer be liable for the contractual obligations laid out in the Tenancy Agreement.
Where the reason for cancellation can’t be proved in line with the above, you will remain liable for the full contractual rent, unless and until a replacement tenant is found for your accommodation. You’re responsible for finding an eligible replacement tenant, although site staff will assist where possible. If a replacement tenant is found, you’ll be released from the contractual obligations laid out in the Tenancy Agreement and any rent money will be refunded to you. Your Booking Fee will be retained.
Any decision made to release a Customer outside of these criteria is made by the local/regional management team, at their discretion, and on an individual case by case basis.
What should I do if I have failed to get into my first University of choice and need to cancel my booking?
Should you fail to gain the required qualifications and aren’t accepted into your first choice University, then we will cancel your Tenancy Agreement and refund your Booking Fee and rent payment, so long as you provide the following information within the timescales mentioned below:
- Written confirmation from you that you wish to cancel your reservation due to having failed to obtain the required grades for your first choice University.
- Supporting evidence from the University or UCAS.
This information must be provided to us within 72 hours of your exam results being published to be eligible for a booking fee refund. Your Booking Fee and rent payment will be returned in full within four weeks.
If you fail to provide the information within 72 hours, your Booking Fee will be forfeited.
Please note, if you are attending another University in a city where iQ Student Accommodation has properties, our team will be happy to support you in finding suitable accommodation. In this case, your Booking Fee and Rent Payment will simply be transferred over to your new booking.
What should I do if I am declined a UK Visa?
If you fail to obtain a UK Visa, we will cancel your Tenancy Agreement and refund your rent payment so long as you provide the following information:
- Written confirmation from you that you wish to cancel your reservation.
- Supporting official evidence to show that the Visa was declined.
This supporting evidence should be supplied to iQ Student Accommodation within 72 hours of you receiving official confirmation. Your rent will be returned to you within 4 weeks but the Booking Fee will be retained as a cancellation fee.
What should I do if I can no longer move in due to extenuating circumstances?
If you are no longer able to attend University and/or live away from home due to extenuating circumstances, such as ill health or family issues, please speak to a member of your iQ Student Accommodation team.
What if I want to swap to another room?
If you want to change your choice of room, you can do so up until the 31st of July. On or after this date, you won’t be able to downgrade your room type.
If you want to upgrade your room or move to a different room which is the same type as your original choice, you can do so free of charge up until the contract start date (subject to room availability).
What if I want to change my tenancy length?
If you wish to change your tenancy length to one of the other options available at your chosen site, you’re able to do so without restriction and without charge up until the 31st of July.
After this date, you will be unable to shorten your tenancy length but can still choose to extend it without charge up until the contract start date.
Cancellations after you have moved in
After key collection your Booking Fee will become your deposit, and will be registered by us in a Government approved tenancy Deposit Protection scheme.
Once you have taken up occupation of your accommodation you lose the right to cancel or be released from the Tenancy Agreement.
If you wish to be released from your Tenancy Agreement, then you must notify iQ Student Accommodation in writing. You’ll remain liable for the full contractual rent, unless and until a replacement tenant is found for your accommodation. You’re responsible for finding an eligible replacement resident, although site staff will assist where possible.
- If a replacement resident is found, we will release you from your tenancy agreement with effect from the start date of the new tenancy agreement (please bear in mind that all tenancies commence on a Saturday; the site team will confirm your official release date). You’ll need to pay a £150 administration fee (which will be recovered by retaining all or part of your deposit and/or rent).
- An administration fee of £50 will be payable if your Tenancy Agreement is cancelled but you enter into a new Tenancy Agreement with iQ Student Accommodation in respect of a different room, but within the same tenancy period.
- An administration fee of £50 will be payable if you wish to swap your Tenancy Agreement to one with a longer tenancy length. You can make this change anytime up until the 31st of December. After the 31st of December, if you decide you wish to stay over the summer period, we may still be able to accommodate your needs. Speak to site staff to find out more.
Failure to collect your key within timeframe
Should you fail to collect your key within 5 weeks of the commencement of the tenancy, then iQ Student Accommodation reserves the right to cancel your booking and resell your room. In this instance your rent may be retained to cover losses for the period and your deposit kept as a cancellation fee.