We know that for a lot of you saving energy doesn't come high on your list of priorities, but there are loads of really simple ways that you could save energy and help improve sustainability for the future that won't take up too much of your time. Below are what we think are some of the quickest and easiest tips to reduce your carbon footprint.
Energy Saving Tips
- Switch on Switch off – don’t forget to switch off your lights when they’re not needed.
- If it’s a nice sunny day consider whether you actually need the overhead lights on.
- Try to take shorter showers; even cutting them by a couple of minutes could save loads of energy.
- Unplug chargers if they're not in use or switch off at the plug.
- Avoid using standby mode; instead turn everything off properly before you go to bed.
- Use Power Management features on your electrical devices to activate sleep mode after five minutes.
- Don’t fill the kettle to make a single cup of coffee, just add enough water to make what you need.
- Put extra layers on before resorting to the heating. A jumper can go a long way.
- Fill up your fridge/freezer. Empty spaces waste energy as the fridge/freezer is working harder.
- Make sure you use the right sized hob for your pan. Using a bigger one than necessary wastes energy.
- Wash your clothes on 30 or 40 degree heat. They will be just as clean and you'll be saving energy.
- Hang up your laundry rather than use the dryer. This will also save you money.