Financial Accountant (Part Time)
London, Central Services
Part Time, 3 Days - 1 Year Temporary Contract
Closed - Monday 16th March 2015
The Financial Accountant will provide support to the Financial Controller in the following areas: accounting, treasury function, balance sheet reconciliations, purchase ledger, financial compliance and reporting, budgeting, forecasting, management accounting and variance analysis, statutory accounts and liaison with external auditors, financial processes and controls, and finance systems.
- Assist with the migration of the current finance system (Access) presently hosted at Quintain as and when required.
- Assist with the implementation of a new finance system to replace Access as applicable.
- Post monthly and quarterly accounting journals.
- Maintain the general ledger, including setting up new nominal codes when required.
- Review accounting treatments for various items.
- Complete monthly balance sheet account reconciliations (e.g. VAT) and investigate and resolve any reconciling items.
- Complete intercompany reconciliations.
- Assist with the migration of the Treasury function from Quintain to iQ.
- Act as the focal point between banks and iQ and manage relevant relationships.
- Manage iQ’s bank accounts and monitor cash flows on a daily basis.
- Process transfers between accounts to ensure sufficient balances for pay runs etc.
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations and process in the ledger.
- Post banking journals.
- Process Head Office BACS/CHAPS payments (supplier payments and float transfers) via internet banking.
- Prepare float transfer requests.
- Assist with work papers for distributions.
- For the property partnerships, assist with the migration of this function to QX, iQ’s India based BPO partner.
- During transition, take ownership of purchase ledger, deal with supplier queries and payment queries from team.
- Assist with approving and code checking purchase orders and invoices, including VAT coding.
- Set up suppliers and check and authorise changes to supplier details.
- Review purchase ledger exception reports, including new supplier reports and investigate and resolve exceptions.
Financial Compliance and Reporting
- Monitor and report covenant compliance for iQ’s debt providers. Assist in production of quarterly lender reports including balance sheet, P&L, cash flow and covenant compliance certificates.
- Complete monthly and quarterly Office of National Statistics (ONS) data reports.
- Monitor PCI compliance for merchant accounts.
Budgeting, Forecasting, Management Accounting and Variance Analysis
- Review and check the monthly management accounts produced by QX, and obtain explanations for material variances.
- Assist with the production of the annual operational budget, quarterly forecasts and quarterly management accounts.
- Assist with the production of an annual capital budget.
- Assist with the processing of budget extensions.
- Assist with the monitoring of key performance indicators, such as unit cost per bed, per scheme, letting income received and void costs.
Statutory Accounts and External Auditors
- Assist with the production of statutory accounts for the iQ entities.
- Liaise with the external auditors, prepare the audit deliverables and answer queries.
Financial Procedures and Controls
- Assist with the migration of financial procedures and controls from Quintain to iQ (and QX as and when required).
- Develop, document and refine financial controls as required.
- Identify, develop and implement improvements to financial procedures as required.
- Assist in the development of the rolling programme of controls testing.
Essential Skills and Experience:
To be successful in the role you will be newly or part-qualified ACA, CIMA, ACCA or equivalent and have:
- Degree at 2.2 or above and 3 A-levels or equivalent at grade A-C
- Ability to work with minimum supervision and exercise initiative
- Ability to manage time and projects, prioritise workloads and meet deadlines
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to clearly communicate issues and ideas
- A flexible and adaptable approach to work, including the ability to work by phone with outsourced back office staff in India
- Analytical with the ability to elicit the required information and translate it into useful data
- A thorough understanding of UK GAAP and IFRS
- Accounting experience
- Proficiency in use of Microsoft Office applications, in particular Excel
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for the role, please send your CV and a covering letter outlining your suitability for the role to:
Human Resources Department